I recently got back from my trip to China. It truly was amazing! I loved every minute of it!! For the first few days it was just Eric, Paul Ray, Ariel and I. Eric would show us the sites, tell us a bit of history, and we'd talk and laugh all throughout. We had a great time! When I got home, I was talking to Mom about the trip late that night. It was interesting being with Eric that week, then being with him and the kids and seeing him in his professor element -- knowing that I know him in a different way then they do. I mean, I go to family functions with him, I know who he really is, they don't. I have such a greater respect for Eric and all that he does. He is truly an amazing man! I loved hearing him talk about Jeanie! They are very much in love, and it shows. He loves her so much and he is constantly thinking about her, and saying "oh, I need to get one of these for Jeanie" and they have such a powerful love and care for each other. Eric would also tell us stories when he was younger, or when he lived there with Jeanie and the kids and all the things they'd do and I loved it!
Paul Ray is so funny! I mean seriously, so funny!! He just has this quiet wit about him that I never knew he had. He was such a tease! At the beginning of the trip, Eric gave us this plum juice and it was..... good? the initial taste was plum juice and it tasted great, but then this strong barbecue taste came through and it wasn't necessarily just an aftertaste, because you tasted it while it was still in your mouth before you swallowed! It was pretty nasty. haha Paul Ray never let Eric forget that. He would constantly bring it up and make jokes about it and tease Eric and Eric would always try to get Paul Ray to taste other kinds of plum juice to redeem himself and show him that it all wasn't that bad. It was great. Paul Ray kept us all laughing and enjoying every minute we were there!
Ariel was wonderful! When we saw each other in the airport we hugged for about 10 minutes laughing and smiling and it was so great to see her again! Every time we get together it's just a party waiting to happen! We had a lot of fun rooming together, talking late at night, tagging along with Eric and Paul Ray, laughing our heads off, dancing with all the Asians on the street, taking pictures, hanging out with the other kids, and trying to talk to the locals with the 5 phrases we knew how to say in very slow, loud, broken Chinglish!
I am forever grateful for the opportunity i had to go. I loved seeing another culture, another part of the world, another piece of history. But not only that, I'm grateful for the opportunities to get closer to my family. I now have this special bond with Eric, Paul Ray, and Ariel and it's something we'll always have. I know I can count on any of my relatives for anything and they'd be willing to help in a heart beat, but there's just something about Paul Ray and Eric now that I know if I'm ever in need of any help, they'd come to the rescue. I know them so much better and if there's anything I got out of this trip, it was this relationship we have and I wouldn't trade that for all the souvenirs in China.
P.S. I've posted a ton more pictures on my blog so feel free to look at them: http://atoone.blogspot.com/
2 comments:
Glad you had a fun trip. We tried to call you the other night, but you were out socializing. We'll call again to hear more details.
Uncle Paul says that Anna and Ariel were great travelers and Eric was an excellent host/guide.
What a fun experience.
Post a Comment