I heard this quote while listening to some BYU talks on my ipod. It was a fireside address given by Margaret D. Nadauld. I thought it related well to us.
"Like many of your parents, we've spent thousands of dollars on music lessons and untold hours helping children practice the piano and violin at our house. A favorite memory is of a little boy sitting on the piano bench with his ball mitt next to him and his cleated feet swinging in time to the music he played. I remember one time one of the little boys said, "Oh, if I only had one hour left to live, I'd spend it practicing the piano because those practice hours last forever." Now he, too, realizes that beautiful music can add an enrichment to your home and to the lives of those who can play and create it."
2 comments:
Ah, yes, so true, so true, at times. Music practicing had its long moments for all of us, I'm sure (including the parents by the end of the year). Of course, it has all been worth it. Its a wonderful feeling knowing that I could sit down and play a hymn anytime I needed to and hopefully pass on the skill to my children someday.
I'm amazed that mom and dad stuck to their guns and paid for lessons when we didn't practice. (piano excluded) Sorry, mom. I didn't realize the frustration of that until I started paying for my own lessons and wondered why I kept paying for something when the only time I practiced was right before my lesson. A waste? It depends. on lots of things.
Post a Comment