Calling Grandma Karen to tell her we were at the top!
Saturday, October 10, 2009
Y HIke?
Actually, you should hike because it's great! Speaking of hikes, I hiked the Y with Granddad on Friday morning. I started my day with a walk to the temple at 6:30am, came home at 8:30, ate and hiked with Granddad at 9:30. It took us 2 1/2 hours. On the other hand, he did it. He made it all the way to the top and back down and never fell once (of course, we did have hiking sticks, which I'm sure made the difference)! We took it at a VERY slow pace and stopped about every turn. Even still, this 2 1/2 hours wasn't a waste of time, in any way. I talked with Granddad the whole way up and back about his and my breakfast, the name 'Granddad', (did you know he drives with two feet? I think it a 'that generation' thing), Taiwan, Japan, Grandma Harriet's death, Japanese culture, the war, his mission, marrying Harriet 15 days after, Berkley, his educational plans at the time and his continued teaching at BYU, the 'accounts' not books he's writing of his life and the Hyer family coming to America, genealogy of the Hyer's, and interesting people. Being a Friday morning, there weren't many people on trail, however we did encounter some. Every time, no matter where we were in our conversation, he'd always say something to them, except it was more than a simple, courteous "hello, how are you?" it was a comment significant to them. He is so friendly and can have a conversation with anyone no matter who they are. He's the cutest '90 in 7 years' old man and I'm glad I was able to hike it with him. It made my day. Love you Granddad
Calling Grandma Karen to tell her we were at the top!
Calling Grandma Karen to tell her we were at the top!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a great post! You hit a lot of subjects in those short few hours. You are both troopers in my book!
What a great hike! I always visited Granddad and Eric in their offices. They were great to talk to. Its fun to get outside and take in nature.
Post a Comment