Monday, September 22, 2008

Grandpa's House

We have been working on Grandpa's house. One project leads to another, but I think we know now what all we want to do, more than we ever invisioned. Dad has enjoyed learning some new trades such as drywalling, installing new copper pipes for the sinks and showers and removing linoleum with a machine. (much easier) The bathrooms will have new floor, marble type shower and tub surrounds, like our house, and new cabinets and sinks, and new toilets. The original 4 bolt toilets aren't even made anymore. Dad had to fix the plumbing under the toilets too.
The new kitchen cabinets are honey colored oak.
We gutted the kitchen. Dad closed up that funky little window over the stove. Dad learned how to texture walls then he painted. We reconfigured the cabinets a little and we are excited to put them in this week. Even a dishwasher. Then the flooring. Bro. Greene fixed the electrical for us and now you can have a dryer if you want in the laundry room.
This is Grandpa's bedroom. It is amazing how different it looks without the creepy wallpaper and with mini blinds on the windows. We removed the wallpaper from everywhere and will paint all walls white (I know its boring!!!) Then we will recarpet the bedrooms last thing. Original 1960 carpeting in two of the bedrooms. We have learned a few things since this is the first time we have ever remodeled something. FUN!!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't see my name anywhere! I did the drywall and taping too. And the plumbing under the kitchen sink. They used my muscles to take the old cabinets off the wall and haul outside too. I have been invaluable to this project.

Kathryn said...

Wow. It's going to look so different when it's done.

Anonymous said...

A dishwasher?! A dryer?! Such luxury! Grandpa's house will be amazing. I can't wait to see the finished house. I hope everyone is having fun learning new skills. You should watch "This Old House" for FHE to get more ideas.
Aaron- I'll remember that you are the real one behind the project.

Julia said...

The house looks great! It is amazing how it has transformed with a little (okay, a LOT of) work. I'm excited to see the finished product. Good work, Aaron.

Mom said...

Just for info... when we moved in in 1960, the floors were all concrete painted brown. There was no carpet anywhere in the house. I'm not sure when they first added carpet in the bedrooms, but it wasn't for several years. It looks great, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Garth